Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Fish Climbs a Tree

Albert Einstein "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Life's experiences have led me to reject fighting and war over and over again. When feeling threatened by real or imagined enemies, challenged by physical or emotional cruelties, how can we respond in ways that don't lead to escalation of conflict or resort to violence. Some folks train constantly for battle by working out, punching bags, training in external or internal martial arts. Does it make me or the world more peaceful if I let my mind and body go weak so that I cannot take advantage of others? When I feel taken advantage of, what do I do? My only option is to take the hit, which wears down my self-esteem... Or could this be an imbalance in my thinking?

Practicing martial arts like tai chi, wing chun, ba gua, hsing yi can lead to a martial thought process. Martial arts films are about fighting so well that you can take on every opponent. But is the martial arts film genre a good measure of the benefit of actual practice of the arts?

No comments: